Saturday, August 12, 2017

That's a Wrap

Pride-themed coffee cups
Reykjavik, Iceland

Outdoor photo exhibition at Skólavördustígur Street
Reykjavik, Iceland

Old Harbor
Reykjavik, Iceland 

Laugavegur Pedestrian Area
Reykjavik, Iceland  

Sunset at Newark Liberty International Airport
Newark, NJ

I've traveled from a country of 330,000 people back home to my country of ~330 million. Yes, that means my seven week trip has concluded, and I'm back in New Jersey. My 28-hour day was epic because it was Pride in Reykjavik. (Ironically, it was Pride in NYC when I departed on this adventure). We missed the afternoon Pride parade due to our flight, but I imagine it was still gorgeous day to celebrate "pride in feeling different," as the Icelandic term literally translates. In the morning, the sun was shining, the air felt fresh with a light breeze, and rainbows (the flags) were everywhere. My Mom and I sauntered along the main streets of Reykjavik's center and the old harbor, did the souvenir search, and had coffee and lunch to commemorate an incredible week. Today brought our time in Iceland full circle as we admired the beauty and creativity that is Reykjavik yet which felt so blatantly odd and strange to us a week ago. The people, the places, and everything Iceland made this week extraordinary, a trip of a lifetime. ...and a trip that brought my country count up to 47!

We returned our rental car at the airport after a lovely ride with many more forms of rock in the landscapes than I'd wish to count. At check-in, my Mom and I landed the last two seats on our flight after the plane was downsized. I guess, the early bird catches the worm, or in this case, the transatlantic flight back home. With that said, there is a lot left for me to process from this adventure. It was an incredible whirlwind that I'm grateful to call my summer vacation.  I have a few thousand pictures to process, and I still have to figure out the logistical (places, transportation, etc.) and financial totals. Like I said, lots to reflect upon. Expect me to write in the near future (reflecting on this trip and reporting on others, too!). Until then, thank you for following my travel chronicles. :-)

Un abrazo,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment